Tuesday, July 24, 2007

In the mood for: Fish & Chips (??)

Well, not quite right. Fish & chips may be the best exponent of fine british cuisine, but not the best option when trying to stay healthy.

I couldn't reach Pula on the weekend. I was pissed off, and tired. So the mood was not the best after spending more than four hours driving to get as far as the starting point. I needed to do something to spoil myself and get me back into the right mood. That's normally solved with food. Good food. So, in order to forget about the heat and the bad experience, I decided to cook myself a good piece of fish, with a very tasty side salad.

First of all, there is a physical need to have a fish to cook, and some vegetables in order to prepare the salad. In Ljubljana this can be easily solved, as in most of the the cities in the world, by going to the supermarket, a grocery store nearby or, if you are lucky enough, to the local market place. I was lucky enough. Ljubljana has one of the nicest markets I have seen so far (I'll come back to this on a future post). So I was able to buy fine products to put on my dish.

Back to the kitchen, I started with the fish. A nice piece of Orada (Golden Fish) that grew and was captured in the ocean, end up in my oven, filled with fresh rosemary, coriander and lemongrass.

This is how it looked when coming out of the oven:


Yummy!!!
Salad was still pending, but fortunately I've managed to do it while the Orada was getting its "tanning". That was easy. Just mix arugula, lettuce, radiccio, tomato, coriander, basil, olives, bitter sweet cucumbers, some capers, fresh cheese (locally made in the market!!) and maybe some other ingredients that I don't remember now. It looked like this:


Again: Yummy!!

Now we are talking! Buy the time the food was done and ready to be eaten, the heat was gone, and the mood was starting to be the right one again. I was ready for dinner:


Good treatment... don't you think?

No comments: